How to renew driving license in Kenya 2022
Road safety is one of the important aspects and It all starts with you. To ensure that everyone on the road is qualified to drive, the National Transport and Safety Authority issues driving licenses for all those who take and pass the driving test. Most countries, including Kenya, require you to renew your driver’s license every 1 to 3 years. These are the steps to follow on How to renew driving license in Kenya
Steps on how to renew a driving license in Kenya
- Enter your E-mail address or you can also enter your National ID Number plus Password to access the NTSA/eCitizen portal.
- Choose National Transport and Safety Authority for online driving license renewal in Kenya.
- Then, select Submit Application, followed by Driving Licenses.
- In Kenya, you have two options for renewing your driving license: a three-year license renewal for Ksh1400 or a one-year license for Ksh600. In addition to the renewal fees, the NTSA levies a mandatory Ksh50 convenience fee.
- Check and confirm your driver’s license renewal information, then click Apply Now. Finally, click the Submit button.
- Select your preferred payment method. The use of mobile money, such as M-Pesa, is permitted by the NTSA. You can also use a debit or credit card to make your payment.
- Print your driver’s license renewal slip.
You should note that smart driving licenses were introduced some years ago and every driver is required to have this smart driving license. Just in case you don’t have a smart driving license, I will guide you on how to acquire it.
How to apply for a smart driving license in Kenya
- You will need to create an account on NTSA’s TIMS portal. Or simply log in to your account if you already have one.
- After creating your account/login, navigate to the Driving License tab on the top navigation bar.
- Tap on the blue SMART DL APPOINTMENT button
- A new tab will be open and you will need to input your ID number, phone number and KRA PIN.
- Your next task will be to select your appointment Center, then the date then the time you wish to reserve. Unavailable slots will be marked in red, the blank white spaces are available slots that you can pick.
- After you make your reservation, print the appointment slip
- On the day of your appointment, go to the NTSA office you selected
- Once there, log in to your TIMS account for verification purposes with the help of an NTSA agent
- After you verify your details, you will pay KES 3,050 through M-PESA for your three-year driving license
- You will then take a passport photo alongside your biometric data, signature and blood group
After this, your smart driving license will be ready for collection within three days
Also, read more on how to apply for a passport