There are very important people in every area. Chief and Assistant Chief have a big role in the community which include Keeping law and order. When applying for an Identity card or passport, you must pass through the Chief’s office in your area. Keep it here as I take you through more information about Chiefs and Assistant Chief salary in Kenya.
Most chiefs work with area residents to help in identifying criminals in the area. They also represent the Government on some national occasions eg government public holidays. In every chief’s office, there are some policemen who assist in security and also assist in arresting criminals.
There was a time the government wanted to do away with government bodies being held by Chiefs, Assistance chiefs, District officers, District commissioners and Provencial commissioners. The idea didn’t work since the government realised they needed them for a good workflow
Qualification of being a Chief or assistant chief in Kenya
For you to qualify to be a chief or an Assistant chief you must have some qualifications. The following are requirements to become a chief or Assistance chief
- You must live in the Sub-Location you are applying to.
- You must be 35 years old or older.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of public-sector experience.
- Have a mean grade C or its authorized equivalent in English or Kiswahili from the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education, and be a trustworthy person who commands respect (KCSE).
- You should be able to successfully communicate.
- Hold a certificate in public administration/management, social work/community development, education, or disaster management from a recognized university, or its equivalent.
Chiefs and Assistant Chief salary in Kenya
Chiefs and Assistant Chiefs are among Kenya’s lowest-paid government officials. An Assistant Chief’s monthly compensation ranges from Ksh 25,000 to Ksh45,000, whilst a Chief’s income goes from Ksh 30,000 to Ksh60,000.
A cook with no experience gets paid around Ksh 30,000. Pay rises to Ksh40,000 and higher for professionals with more than three years of experience.
The top-paid chief earns around Ksh 70,000 each month.
That is all we have for now concerning Chiefs and Assistant Chief salary in Kenya. keep it here for more updates